10 Sep Communique from the General Definitory – Tempo Forte of July 2019
On Tuesday, July 16, the General Definitory began the Tempo Forte of July 2019 after taking part in the Under 10 Chapter of Mats, in Taizé (France) from 7 to 14 July 2019. As usual, they began by sharing the experiences of each of the members in recent weeks.
During the following sessions, 57 scholarships were granted and renewed, and new ones were awarded. Decisions were made regarding the young friars who are in the different stages of initial formation in Entities dependent on the Minister General, in particular in the Notre Dame d’Afrique Foundation, in Congo Brazzaville, and in South Sudan.
The following General Visitators were elected:
- Br. Alberto MARANGOLO, for the Piceno Province of Saint James of the Marches, in Italy;
- Br. Vicente-Emilio FELIPE TAPIA, for the Province of Our Lady of Arantzazu, in Spain;
- Br. Giuseppe FERRARI, for the Seraphic Province of St. Francis, in Italy (Assisi);
- Br. Guillermo Lancaster JONES CAMPERO, for the Province of the Holy Gospel, in Mexico.
Numerous dossiers relating to the general procurator’s office were discussed, including the following requests for:
- information on accusations concerning graviora delicta (5);
- dismissal from the Order (3);
- dispensation from celibacy and the obligations of the clerical state (9);
- dispensation from solemn vows (1);
- secularization ad experimentum (2);
- secularization pure et simpliciter (2);
- indult of exclaustration (2: for three years and one for a third year);
- dispensation from temporary vows (1).
The Minister General also granted two applicants readmission to the Order without having to repeat the Novitiate.
Candidates for service as Minister Provincial were approved for two Entities that will shortly celebrate their Chapter.
Acts of Elections were ratified:
- in the so-called Intermediate Chapters (election of Definitors), celebrated in the following Provinces:
- Sacred Heart of Jesus, in Italy;
- Saint Michael the Archangel, in Italy;
- Saint Michael the Archangel, in Ukraine;
- Saint Francis of Assisi, in Poland;
- Most Holy Saviour, in Slovakia;
- Blessed John Duns Scotus, in France-Belgium.
- in the Chapters in which the entire Government of the Provinces was elected:
- Most Holy Name of Jesus, in Italy;
- St. Francis of Assisi, in East Africa, Madagascar and Mauritius;
- BVM Queen of China, in Taiwan;
- Assumption of BVM, in Poland;
- Holy Family, in Egypt;
- Holy Martyrs of Gorcum, in the Netherlands;
- Saint Elizabeth, in Germany;
- Santiago de Compostela, in Spain.
- In extra-capitular meetings: for 7 Entities (Guardians and a Provincial Definitor).
The General Definitory met Br. Cesare Vaiani, Secretary General for Formation and Studies, the General Treasurer, Br. John PUODZIUNAS, the Secretary General for the Missions and Evangelization, Br. Alonso Morales Duque, and the Assistant Br. Antonio Lanzi, Br. Jaime Andrés Campos Fonseca and Br. Rufino Lim, of the JPIC Animation Office.
The General Definitory also met with Br. Sergio Galdi of Aragon, Secretary of the General Chapter 2021. This will be held from 1 to 29 May 2021, in Manila, the Philippines as already communicated. They began the work of planning and preparing the Chapter. Two Vice-Secretaries for the Chapter were also elected: Br. Dexter Toledo, of the Province of St. Peter Baptist, in the Philippines, and Br. John Wong, of the Custody of Singapore, Malaysia and Brunei, dependent on the Province of the Holy Spirit, in Australia.
During this Tempo Forte, after a further meeting with the lawyers and the notary who accompanied the planning phase, it was decided to create the OFM Fraternitas Foundation, whose purpose will be pursuing various activities aimed at social solidarity.
After meeting Br. William Short, Visitator General for the Sant’Antonio International College, in Rome, the General Definitory elected Br. Estêvão Ottenbreit as Guardian of the CISA. They also discussed other projects that will be communicated to the fraternity at the beginning of the new academic year.
Br. Michael and the Conventual and Capuchin Ministers General, with Br. Cesare Vaiani, project coordinator, and Br. Dinh Anh Nhue Nguyen, dean of the Seraphicum, were received in audience by the Archbishop Secretary of the Congregation for Catholic Education, to whom they presented the UNIFRA project, which received an excellent welcome and firm support.
On 16 and 17 November 2019, the Friars who live in the Houses of Rome dependent on the Minister General will meet at the Shrine of Our Lady of Divine Love, in Rome, for a meeting of fraternal sharing, in the style of a Chapter of Mats.
The next Tempo Forte will take place from 16 to 27 September 2019.
To the praise of Christ and the Poverello of Assisi. Amen!
Rome, 6 August 2019
Br. Giovanni Rinaldi, OFM