11 Apr Communique from the General Definitory – Tempo Forte of March 2018
The March 2018 Tempo Forte was held at the General Curia, Rome, from the 12th to the 23th of the month. From the 16th-18th, the Minister General travelled to Egypt for events marking the beginning of the 8th centenary celebrations of the encounter of St. Francis of Assisi with the Sultan.
The first day of Tempo Forte included sessions during which each of the friars of the Definitory spoke about the activities and experiences in which they had been involved during the period since the last Tempo Forte, particularly their meetings with four Latin-American Conferences of Minister Provincials and Custodes in Mexico and Brazil.
On March 19th and 20th, Br. Manuel CORULLÓN FERNÀNDEZ, Secretary of the Plenary Council of the Order, and Br. Matteo GIULIANI attended the work sessions devoted to the Plenary Council (June 12th to 28th in Nairobi). The work schedule for the Council was decided upon, and workshops were held so as to have experience of the world café method that will be used during the PCO.
The final reports of the Canonical Visitation of two Provinces were presented:
- The Province of the Twelve Apostles, Peru;
- The Province of the Blessed Trinity, Chile.
Changes to Particular Statutes were ratified for the following entities:
- The Province of the Blessed Trinity, Chile;
- The Province Magnae Dominae Hungarorum, Hungary;
- The Province of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, Italy (Naples);
- The Province of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Spain;
- The Province of Sts Peter and Paul, Mexico (Celaya, Michoacán);
- The Custody of St. Clare, Mozambique;
- The Custody of St. John the Baptist, Pakistan;
In addition, the Particular Statutes of the General Secretariat for Formation and Studies were approved, as was the text: Statute on the Procedures to be observed in dealing with cases of recourse to the Minister General.
Various acts of elections were ratified during the Tempo Forte sessions. These included elections that had taken place:
- During the Provincial Chapter of the Province of “Our Lady, Queen of Peace”, South Africa;
- During the Capitular Congressus of the Province the Twelve Apostles, Peru;
- During the Capitular Congressus of the Custody of the Annunciation of the BVM, Albania, dependent on the Minister General.
- During the Capitular Congressus of the Foundation “Our Lady of Africa”, Congo-Brazzaville, dependent on the Minister General.
Extra-Capitular elections of some Guardians in various Entities of the Order were ratified, as were the elections of a new Minister, Vicar, and Provincial Definitor in the Province of Sts Francis and James (Zapopan, Mexico), arising from the appointment of the previous Minister Provincial, Br. Juan Manuel MUÑOZ CURIEL, as auxiliary bishop of Guadalajara.
The General Definitory elected the following General Visitators:
- Ivan SESAR, Definitor General, for the Province of St. Jerome, Croatia (Zara);
- Cesław GNIECKI for the Province of the Assumption of the BVM (Katowice, Poland);
- Dymitr ŻEGLIN for the Province of St Hedwig (Wroclaw, Poland);
- Hugh McKENNA for the General Curia fraternity “S. Maria Mediatrice”, Rome;
- Jónás BÁN for the Province of St Stephen the King, Transylvania-Romania.
Sadly, the following substantial number of requests were examined:
- dismissal from the Order (3);
- dispensation from the obligations of the clerical state (4);
- secularisation pure et simpliciter (6);
- secularisation ad experimentum (4);
- dispensation from Solemn Vows (7);
- exclaustration for three years (4).
A list of the personnel needed for various important services in the Houses and Entities directly dependent on the Minister General was drawn up. These brothers will have to be located, and so the members of the Definitory undertook to search for friars who would be available for this service.
The General Definitory also heard updates on the activities and future plans of the General Secretariat for Missions and Evangelization, the General Secretariat for Formation and Studies, and the JPIC General Office. In addition, Br. Priamo ETZI, Vice Postulator General and Director of the OFM General Historical Archive (AGOFM), gave a report on the activities carried out in those two offices during 2017. The General Treasurer, Br. John PUODZIUNAS, presented the 2017 year-end accounts of the General Curia and of all the Houses dependent on the Minister General. After a worthwhile dialogue, during which various matters were clarified and studied, the accounts were approved by the General Definitory.
Since no Provincial or Custodial Chapters are to be held in 2018, the Meeting of the Minister General and Definitory with newly elected Provincial Ministers and Custodes will not take place in January 2019. Because of this, the January 2019 Tempo Forte will take place from January 7th to 18th; this schedule will also allow the Minister General to participate in the World Youth Day in Panama from January 22nd to 27th, 2019.
The next Tempo Forte will be held at the General Curia from May 7th to 18th, 2018.
Rome, 10th April, 2018
Br. Giovanni Rinaldi, OFM