11 Oct Communique from the General Definitory – Tempo Forte of September 2017
The September 2017 Tempo Forte was held from September 11th to 22nd; during the first week (11th to 15th), the meetings were held at the General Curia in Rome, while the second week (18th – 22nd) saw all the members of the General Definitory go to Turkey for a pilgrimage to the Churches of the Apocalypse and to participate in the blessing of the newly-renovated Friary and Church at Bornova, Izmir (Smyrna).
During the first week, on September 11th, the new Definitor General was elected — Br. Jürgen Neitzert OFM, from the Province of St. Elizabeth, Germany.
The following General Visitators were elected:
- Ivo Müller, OFM, from the Province of the Immaculate Conception of the BVM, Brazil, for the Custody of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, Brazil;
- Michael Kleinhans, OFM, of the Province of the Assumption of the BVM, Brazil, for the Province of the Immaculate Conception of the BVM, Brazil;
- Wim Pot, OFM, of the Province of the Holy Martyrs of Gorcum, the Netherlands, for the Province of St. Elizabeth, Germany.
Four work sessions were dedicated to the preparation of the Plenary Council of the Order (PCO), which will be held in Nairobi, Kenya, from June 12th to 28th, 2018. Br. Manuel Corullón Fernández, the Secretary of the PCO, attended these sessions, as did Br. Matteo Giuliani, OFM.
A committee was appointed for the preparation of the Chapter of Mats for ‘Under Tens’, which will be held in Taizé, France, from July 7th to 14th, 2019.
During the morning session on Thursday, September 14th, representatives from Price Waterhouse Coopers made a presentation to the General Definitory on the outcome of an audit of the accounting and finances of the General Curia. The Minister General will soon communicate further detail on this audit to the Order. Also that morning, Br. John Puodziunas, OFM, the General Treasurer, gave a report on the state of the accounting and finances of the General Curia.
The General Definitory took note of the availability of some Friars (from various Entities of the Order) to participate in projects dependent on the Minister General. They also accepted the request of some other friars to end their missionary experience in these projects.
The following requests were examined:
- dispensation from the clerical state (3);
- secularisation ad experimentum (3);
- secularisation pure et simpliciter (2);
- dismissal from the Order (1);
- dismissal Ipso facto (3);
- exclaustration for three years (1);
- dispensation from Temporary Vows (1).
In addition, the acts of the Custodial Chapter of the Custody of St. Clare in Mozambique were ratified, as were the Capitular Congresses of the Provinces of Our Lady of Guadalupe (USA), and St. Bonaventure (Italy). Finally, there were presentations of the final Visitation reports of the Provinces of Ireland, St. James of the Marches (Italy), St. Bonaventure (Italy), Immaculate Conception (Poland), St. Mary of the Angels (Poland), and Our Lady of Arantzazu (Spain)
The next Tempo Forte takes place at the General Curia from November 6th to 17th, 2017.
Rome, October 11th, 2017
Br. Giovanni Rinaldi, OFM