23 Jun Comunicato of the Tempo Forte of June 2015
The new General Definitory lost no time in getting down to work after the conclusion of the General Chapter. The new Definitors met with the Minister and the Vicar from Monday 8th June until Thursday 11th June. On the first day, they were all joined by the outgoing Definitors who shared with them briefly their experience of having worked together during the past six years. That afternoon, each of the outgoing Definitors passed on to his successor the necessary documents and information for his new service.
On Tuesday, the day began with an information briefing. With the help of Br Joseph Magro, Director of the Communications Office, the Definitory was given a helpful introduction to the offices of the General Curia, how they function and how they are related each to the other. Then it was straight down to business. A lot of files (plichi) were awaiting the attention of the Definitory since the beginning of the General Chapter. These were attended to and the necessary decisions taken.
Some new Visitators General were appointed. These included:
– Br Jakab Varnai, of the Province Magna Domina Hungarorum, in Hungary, as Visitator of the Custody of the Holy Land.
– Br Livio Crisci, of the Province of St Francis Stigmatised, in Italy, as Visitator for the Province of the Sacred Heart, in Italy (Naples).
– Br Salvatore Ferro, of the Province of the Holy Name of Jesus, in Italy, as Visitator for the Province of Our Lady of Graces, in Italy (Benevento).
– Br Baltazar Obico, of the Province of St Pedro Bautista, in the Philippines, as Visitator for the Custody of St Anthony, also in the Philippines.
– Br Nestor Inácio Schwerz, of the Province of St Francis, in Brazil, as Visitator for the Province of the Immaculate Conception of the BVM, in Brazil, in place of Br Valmir Ramos, elected as Definitor General.
At the beginning of the General Chapter, news had come of the death of Br. Juan Telesforo Zuriarrain, of the Province of Arantzazu, in Spain, General Delegate for the new Province of the Immaculate Conception in Spain. The General Definitory, at the request of Br. Juan Carlos Moya Ovejeros, Minister Provincial of the new Province, elected as General Delegate Br. José Ángel Egiguren, also of the Province of Arantzazu.
The schedule of Tempi Forti 2015-2016 was decided. The following dates should be noted by everyone so that the material for the attention of the General Definitory might arrive on time:
September: 7th – 18<th.
October: 5th – 9th.
November: 9th – 20th.
December: 14th – 18th.
January: 18th – 29th.
March: 7<th – 18<th<.
May: 9th – 20th.
July: 4th – 15th.
September: 12th< – 23rd.
November: 7th< – 18th.
December: 12th – 16th.
A great deal of time was devoted, in this first Tempo Forte, to the question of appointment to various offices of the Curia. The Definitory were successful in electing candidates to the following offices:
- Secretary General: Br. Aidan McGrath, of the Province of Ireland.
- Vice-General Secretaries: Br. Stefano Lovato, of the Province of St Anthony of Padua, in Italy, and Br. Akjmed Echeverry Carbonell, of the Province of Santa Fe, in Colombia.
- Vice General Treasurer: Br. Silvio Rogelio de la Fuente, of the Custody of the Holy Land.
- Procurator General: Br. Lorant Orosz, of the Province Magna Domina Hungarorum, in Hungary, Definitor General.
- Secretary of the General Procura: Br. Priamo Etzi, of the Custody of Our Lady of Graces, in Sardegna, dependent on the Seraphic Province of St Francis of Assisi, in Italy.
- General Secretary for Formation and Studies: Br. Cesare Vaiani, of the Province of St Charles, in Italy.
- Vice- General Secretary for Formation and Studies: Br. Siniša Balajić, of the Province of the Holy Redeemer, in Croatia.
- General Animator for Evangelization: Br. Russel Murray, of the Province of the Most Holy Name of Jesus, USA:
- General Animator for the Missions: Br. Luis Gallardo Loja, of the Province of St Francis, in Ecuador.
- Local Bursar/Treasurer of the Fraternity of Santa Maria Mediatrice: Br. Tyberiusz Mąka, of the Province of the Immaculate Conception of the BVM, in Poland.
- Rector of Students of the Fraternity “Beato Gabriele Allegra”: Br. Witosław Sztyk, of the Province of the Assumption of the BVM, in Poland.
- Vice Rector and Bursar/Treasurer of the Fraternity “Beato Gabriele Allegra”: Br. José Ángel Flores Guerrero, of the Province of Saints Peter and Paul, in Mexico.
Several important offices remain to be filled. It is hoped that all the necessary elections will be completed and published during the Tempo Forte of September.
Having successfully completed their first meeting, the new Definitors promptly departed for their Provinces. All are to return to the General Curia by the end of August so that they can begin the necessary bureaucratic processes to obtain residency in Italy.
Since this is the last bulletin before the summer, on behalf of the Minister, all the Definitory, and all here at the General Curia, may I wish everyone a pleasant holiday when the time comes.
22nd June 2015
Aidan McGrath ofm