10 Feb Friars Minor: Missionaries of Mercy
On Ash Wednesday, the Missionaries of Mercy were sent forth by Pope Francis during a celebration in St. Peter’s Basilica. The figure of the Missionary is described in the Bull of Indication Misericordiae Vultus number 18.
These Missionaries are to be:
- a living sign of the Father’s welcome to all those in search of his forgiveness;
- facilitators for all, with no one excluded, of a truly human encounter, a source of liberation, rich with responsibility for overcoming obstacles and taking up the new life of Baptism again;
- guided by the words, “For God has consigned all to disobedience, that he may have mercy upon all;
- inspiring preachers of Mercy;
- heralds of the joy of forgiveness;
- welcoming, loving, and compassionate Confessors, who are most especially attentive to the difficult situations of each person.
Among the Missionaries of Mercy there are several from the Order of Friars Minor.