20 Sep Voices from the Amazon: Land, People, and Religion
A conference on “Voices from the Amazon: Land, People, and Religion” will spark deep conversations and ideas at the Auditorium Antonianum in Rome on 5 October 2019, one day before the synod begins.
The conference will include Mons. Hector Cabrejos, OFM, President of the Episcopal Conference of Latin America, Br. Julio Bunader, Vicar General of the Order of Friars Minor, Patricia Gualinga, Sarayaku Leader, Ecuador, and many more.
This conference is an opportunity to discuss the synod with synodal fathers and indigenous leaders one day before it begins. Seating is limited–please register as soon as possible.
IMPORTANT: The conference will be held in Italian, Spanish and Portuguese. English translation will not be provided.
8.15 Registration and Greetings
9.00 Opening and Introductions
Moderator: Agustin Hernandez, Dean of the Faculty of Philosophy, Antonianum Pontifical University
- Professor Mary Melone, Rettore Magnifico Antonianum Pontifical University
- Fr. Michael Perry, OFM, General Minister of the Order of Friars Minor
- S.E. Signa. María Elvira Velásquez Rivas-Plata, Ambassador of Peru to the Holy See
- S.E. Jorge Mario Eastman, Ambassador of Colombia to the Holy See
- Dr. Fabio Espitia Garzón. Attorney General of Colombia
Moderator: Sara Muzzi – Secretary of the Italian Center di Lullismo, Antonianum Pontifical University
- Patricia Gualinga, Sarayaku Leader, Ecuador
- Sister Laura Vicuña, Amazonian indigenous community, Brazil
- Gregorio Diaz Mirabal, President of COICA
- Fr. João Messias Sousa, OFM Munduruku Leader, Brazil
14.00 Synodal Church for Integral Ecology and Laudato Si’
Moderator: Tomás Insua, Executive Director of the Global Catholic Climate Movement
- Sarah duPont, Producer and Co-Director, “River of Gold”
- Mons. Hector Cabrejos, OFM, President of the Episcopal Conference of Latin America
- Tania Ávila, Coordinator of the Amerindian Network–Cochabamba and Indigenous Theologian
- Deacon Alirio Cáceres, CELAM integral ecology program & Global Catholic Climate Movement
15.30 Closing remarks: Fr. Valmir Ramos, Order of Friars Minor General Definitor